Nathan Curtis is a founder and principal at EightShapes, LLC, a user experience consulting firm based in Washington, DC. Nathan has been practicing varied disciplines within user experience design since 1996, and areas of interest include information architecture, interaction design, usability research, and front-end development. He started EightShapes in 2006 and has helped improve the user experience for clients around the world.
Prior to founding EightShapes, Nathan led UX projects at Sprint Nextel, was a principal owner at BIG fish in Washington DC, and got his start at SAS Institute in R&D for statistical software applications. Nathan obtained a masters degree from the University of Chicago in 1996 following a B.S. in both Mathematics & Statistics from Virginia Tech in 1995.
Nathan writes and published UX tools at http://unify.eightshapes.com and currently lives in Fairfax, VA with his wife and three children. Follow Nathan on Twitter (@nathanacurtis the person, @components the book, @8sunify the documentation system) and LinkedIn.
- So You Wanna Build a Library, Eh?, boxesandarrows.com, September 2010
- How to Create a UX Design Library, UIE.com, September 2010
- Components vs. Patterns, UIE.com, January 2009
- Know Your Place, boxesandarrows.com, April 2006
Book: Modular Web Design
Nathan authored the book Modular Web Design:Creating Reusable Components for User Experience Design and Documentation aimed at helping designers become better at modularizing their designs as well as building libraries of reusable assets to improve consistency, efficiency, and standards. The book is available from Peachpit Press.
Presentations & Workshops
- Modular Web Design, CanUX in Banff, CA, November 2009
- Adobe InDesign & EightShapes Unify, Adobe Max in Los Angeles, CA, October 2009
- Modular Web Design (full day pre-conference workshop), IDEA 2009 in Toronto, CA, September 2009
- Unify Your Deliverables, Web App Summit, April 2009
- Patterns & Components, Web App Summit Workshop, March 2009
- Unify Your Deliverables, IA Summit, March 2009
- Patterns & Components (full day workshop), IA Summit in Memphis, TN, March 2009
- Patterns & Components, Nielsen Norman Group Workshop, March 2009
- Creating a Component Library, DC Design Talks, January 2008
- Audiences and Artifacts, IA Summit in Miami, FL, April 2008